Monday 29 October 2012

Sweet Treats no trick



Ok, so I'm not the best painter, of small objects with a large brush, in the world...I prefer 'cutting in' around the skirtings when decorating rather than the whole roller thing...

So what do you think of these cheeky chaps?  I made them from salt dough, my first attempt...I should have used plain flour...but it does give an interesting rounded character to them...LOL...

So how did I make them? The marvels of Stampin' Up! again, I picked these biscuit stamps up in Canada, they're now available here!  The stamps are food safe silicon 6.5cm (2.5 inches) across and fit onto a chunky handle which any nursery aged child or older would love to make (the handle would be a bit large for the tiniest of children).

 
So how did I do it? 
  1. Using your favorite salt dough or biscuit  recipie roll out to about 1cm thickness.  Use a biscuit cutter to cut out, (mine had a serated edge) but do not move the biscuits, remove the waste instead (reuse it and roll out more).
  2. Insert the wooden base of the stamp handle in to the silicon Sweet Pressed Cookie Stamp and gently press in to the biscuits. 
  3. Place the stamped biscuits on to a baking tray and bake according to your recipe (low and slow for salt dough). 
  4. Remove from the oven and cool, decorate with acrylic paint and varnish the faux biscuits, or you could ice real biscuits or leave plain as the pattern is indented.   
  5. For the faux biscuits: punch out circles or scalloped circles and a piece of gold cord.  Make a loop on the back of the biscuit.  Cover the circle of card with a very strong glue such as glossy acents or crystal effects and cover the end of the looop.  Once dry use to decorate the house for halloween.
The stamp set comes boxed, and includes two recipies for edible biscuits, one with and one without eggs.  I think I will be making some real buiscuits for halloween for the office.


No comments: